What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which a website may put on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a site or page. The cookie will help the website, or another website, to recognise your device the next time you visit.
There are many functions that cookies serve. E.g. they help us to remember your username and preferences, analyse how well our website is performing, or allow us to recommend content we believe will be most relevant to you.
Certain cookies contain personal information – for example, if you click to “remember me” when logging in, a cookie will store your username. Most cookies won’t collect information that identifies you, and will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use our websites, or a user’s general location.
What sort of cookies do we use?
1. Essential cookies
Some cookies are essential for the operation of our website. For example, some cookies allow us to identify registered users and ensure they can access the secure pages. If a registered user opts to disable these cookies, the user will not be able to access these pages.
2. Performance Cookies
We use other cookies to analyse how our visitors use our websites and to monitor website performance. E.g. we use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
3. Functionality Cookies
We use functionality cookies to allow us to remember your preferences. E.g. currency or language preference or what you have in your basket or wish list, where available. Also if you want to comment on our blog.
Can a website user block cookies?
Yes, but as we’ve explained above, cookies help you to get the most from our website.
If you do wish to disable our cookies then please see the instructions on our How to manage cookies below.
Please remember that if you do choose to disable cookies, you may find that certain sections of our website do not work properly
HOW TO MANAGE COOKIES
- Click on the Tools icon on the browser
- Then select Options
- Click the Under the Hood tab from the left hand menu
- In the Privacy section, select the Content settings button
- To enable cookies: select Allow local data to be set option
- To disable cookies: select Block all cookies option
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Click on Tools at the top of your browser window
- Select Internet Options
- In the options window navigate to the Privacy tab
- To enable cookies: Set the slider to Medium or below
- To disable cookies: Move the slider to the top to block all cookies
- Click on Tools at the browser menu
- Select Options
- Select the Privacy panel
- To enable cookies, check Accept cookies for sites
- To disable cookies, uncheck Accept cookies for sites
Safari on MAC OSX
- Click on Safari at the menu bar
- Select the Preferences option
- Click on Security
- To enable cookies: In the Accept cookies section select Only from site you navigate to
- To disable cookies: In the Accept cookies section select Never
All other browsers
Please select the Help function in the browser or contact the browser provider.